Comment from: Mitch, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: July 20
I was stung by a yellow jacket on my leg just above the ankle about 2 weeks ago. Immediately I put ice on it and used very cold water on it the rest of the day. I didn’t swell until a day later. A few days later I got terrible itching. I tried cortisone cream, Lanacane and more ice without relief. Finally in desperation I tried aloe vera capsules I had on hand; instant relief from itching. I did not need another application. By next day, the swelling was down and I could see it was healing. Now I can still see a small dot where I was stung and there’s a little discoloration but all is well.
Comment from: zyggystardust, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 14
I just got stung on the edge of my hand by a nasty wasp. The stinger came out when I flicked the wasp off my hand. It hurt terribly. I patted the spot with a paper towel moistened with vinegar. The relief was instant. I know some doctors claim it is only a placebo effect, but it worked. It started hurting again after 10 minutes, so I reapplied the vinegar. Relief again.
Comment from: Dotty99, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 30
I was stung on my inner wrist into a vein by a wasp. The pain was horrendous, I immediately bathed it and put on some antiseptic cream. I took 2 ibuprofen tablets and an antihistamine. The pain continued and the area became red and my hand started to swell up (I had taken my rings off). I looked online to see if there was anything else I could try as I was feeling terrible. I read about putting a one pence coin on it for about 10 minutes. With nothing to lose I held it over where the sting had been and almost immediately the swelling started to subside. Pian is now gone and only a slight redness still can be seen. The penny seemed to do the trick, must be something in the metal.
Comment from: OnlyVal, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 29
I was stung by a red wasp on my arm July 9. It hurt at first, then my arm swelled up like a football and was very red and itchy. Doctor said it was infected and gave me steroid shot and wrapped it up and told me to keep it on ice pack. Yesterday while I was sleeping, I was again stung by a red wasp. I felt a tickle on my arm and brushed it away and the wasp attached itself to my finger and stung me. This time it hurts all the time and my hand and fingers are so swollen I can’t even pick up a coffee cup. Remedy: Benadryl, sit and rest arm on a pillow with an ice pack. These stings last at least two weeks for me.
Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 29
Toothpaste – advice from my mother-in-law, mother of 12 children. Best to use the white kind with baking soda. The pain from the bee/wasp sting goes away within a few minutes; no swelling, no healing. Done.
Comment from: Alf, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: January 11
You should put some cold water on bee/wasp sting for 5 minutes.
Comment from: emismom, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 09
I was stung by a paper wasp. I happened to have a can of Burt’s Bees brand natural insect repellant. The stinging pain was very intense. I thought it couldn’t make it worse. I got the repellent on the sting within a minute of getting stung and was astonished that the pain was gone in less than 30 seconds. I had minor swelling and barely noticeable itching. 10 hours later, the skin around the area only feels slightly tight. I was stung 20+ times when I stepped on a nest as a child. I think they were hornets. My ankles swelled up so big I couldn’t put socks on. My friend’s mother put wet tobacco from a cigarette on them. Didn’t do a thing to help.
Comment from: grandpa, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: November 24
I was stung by a paper wasp 10 years ago, on my upper back. A red spot big as a quarter lasted 4 days. Two days ago I had a skin cancer cut off, same spot, same size.
Comment from: ms jane, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 05
When my husband and I were camping, he got into a wasp nest. Our neighbor camper told him to use a raw onion. We now swear by the onion for bee stings. The onion stops the pain immediately. Just hold it on the sting for a few minutes. It may not stop the swelling a lot, but it really stops the pain. My granddaughter was stung by yellow jackets and this totally stopped her pain and the swelling. Keep an onion handy. It works!
Comment from: Shall1, 3-6 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 09
I got stung in the ankle by a red wasp. It was the most painful thing I have ever felt! I couldn’t immediately do anything because I was working, but every time I stepped, shooting pain shot up my leg. By day two, my entire foot and a third of my lower let swelled. I went to the doctor and she said it was a local reaction. She gave me an antibiotic because it looked infected and told me to ice it, take Benadryl, and elevate. It took two weeks to get better. And my ankle still feels bruised months later.
Viewer Comments are not a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Never delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice from your physician or other qualified health provider because of something you have read on eMedicineHealth. The opinions expressed in the comments section are of the author and the author alone. eMedicineHealth does not endorse any specific product, service or treatment.
If you think you have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.