#computer #forensics #college
The Computer Security and Investigations program is designed to provide you with the necessary knowledge and skills to take a leadership role in the protection and security of information technology.
The Computer Security and Investigations program is designed to provide you with the necessary knowledge and skills to take a leadership role in the protection and security of information technology. Your classes are regularly reviewed and improved to be the most current subjects demanded by the industry, such as:
- Advanced Ethical Hacking
- Threat and Risk Analysis
- Information Security
- Advanced Computer Forensics
- Internet and Hacking Investigations
- CISCO Network Design and Management
- Network Security
- Justice Studies
In addition to these cutting edge subjects, you will also learn how to develop systems, procedures, and human resources to manage the risks associated with information technology, and be capable of providing technical assistance to prevent, investigate, and protect individuals and organizations from cyber-crime. Your studies will be from a security management and law enforcement perspective, with emphasis placed on both the technological and management skills required to implement information technology security, and the investigative skills necessary to respond appropriately to breaches of security.
You will have the added benefit of courses in law, justice, and criminology, taking advantage of Fleming College’s reputation and experience in these fields, in addition to obtaining the technical training you need to function as a technological consultant. In this three-year program, the final sixth semester is an applied project or co-operative field placement in partnership with business, industry, a law enforcement agency, or government department.
Why Choose Fleming
Fleming has a well-known track record of producing talented graduates in both the Applied Computing and Engineering Science, and the Law and Justice fields. As such, you will acquire the best we have to offer–in a new, winning combination that will put you on the road to success as an in-demand computer security specialist.
There are no other programs like this in Ontario. The program will provide you with the knowledge and skills to prepare you for industry certification in both the computer forensics and networking disciplines. As you progress through the program you will gain the skills required to become industry certified in a number of areas, including:
- CCNA – Cisco Certified Network Architect
- CCE – Certified Computer Examiner
- MCSE – Microsoft Certified System Engineer
- CISSP – Certified Information Systems Security Professional (student level qualification)
- CEH – Certified Ethical Hacker
- EnCE – Encase Certified Examiner
With your diploma, and these top certifications, you will demonstrate your abilities and value to the industry, gaining you the employment advantage.
In your final semester, you will work on an intensive team project or co-operative field placement. Each student will contribute specialized knowledge, learned in his or her program of study, to the solution of a real world technological problem posed by a sponsoring business or organization. Recent projects include:
- Co-operative placements within financial and forensic firms, working real cases
- Co-operative placements within corporate security departments and information security service providers
- Security and penetration testing of a large Internet Service Provider
- Forensic analysis and creation of standards for a security corporation
- Development of a Linux based Darknet and Intrusion Detection system for a professional penetration testing company
- Development and field deployment of a computer network Intrusion Detection System for a managed security service company to support large commercial clients
This applied project or co-operative field placement will enhance problem-solving skills, applied industry knowledge, and the ability to work as part of a team. You’ll also learn critical workplace skills such as time management, how to map a critical path, and presentation skills. Since you may be working on sophisticated developmental or research based work, sponsors will often use the project as a testing ground and recruitment opportunity.
Is this You?
- excellent oral and written communication skills
- good problem solving skills
- creative and analytical thinking skills
- previous computing experience
- able to keep a cool head in a crisis
- research and investigative skills and interest
- desire to learn and be challenged
- strong time management skills
Career opportunities are available in both public and private sector organizations. Job titles include:
- Information Technology Security Analyst
- Information Security Administrator
- Computer Security Consultant
- Network Security Specialist
- Computer Forensics Examiner
- Digital Investigative Specialist
Starting salaries for many positions are $40,000 to $60,000. Industry surveys identify that IT security professionals, with the security skills you will acquire, consistently earn higher income than others in the industry.
Minimum Admission Requirements
OSSD with the majority of credits at the College (C) and Open (O) level, including:
- 2 College (C) English courses (Grade 11 or Grade 12)
- 2 College (C) Math courses (Grade 11 or Grade 12)
When (C) is the minimum course level for admission, (U) or (U/C) courses are also accepted.
If you are 19 years of age or older before classes start, and you do not possess an OSSD, you can write the Canadian Adult Achievement Test to assess your eligibility for admission. Additional testing or academic upgrading may be necessary to meet specific course requirements for this program.
Do you have another college diploma, or have you completed other technology courses at another college or university? You may be eligible for advanced standing entry to the Computer Security and Investigations program. With this fast track option, you can quickly complete the program and become qualified to enter the field of computer security. Contact the program coordinator to find out how you can take advantage of this opportunity.
You may be able to use credits obtained at Fleming College to continue your postsecondary education in pursuit of a degree. The articulation and credit transfer agreements with our partner institutions are summarized below.