#Paralegal #schools #in #new #york
Teacher Assistant Schools and Programs in New York
Teacher assistants go by many names: paraprofessional, teacher’s aide, paraeducator, and instructional aide. Typically, the teacher provides initial instruction on concepts, and the teaching assistant reinforces these lessons by working with students in small groups or one-on-one.
In addition, the teacher’s assistant helps with record keeping, prepares instructional materials, supervises students and enforces school rules, and may grade papers and tests. If you enjoy working with children and believe in the value of education, a career as a teaching assistant may be the job for you.
New York Teacher Assistant Schools
The New York Department of Education requires all teacher assistants to have certification. Formal education helps prepare hopeful teaching assistants for certification.
- Hudson Valley Community College: This school offers a Teaching Assistant Certificate, and includes online, distance learning opportunities. Coursework transfers to four-year universities, for students interested in pursuing a higher degree.
What to Expect from New York Teacher Assistant Programs
All of these programs are designed to prepare graduates to pass Level III certification by the New York Board of Education. Students develop the following core competencies:
- Reading, writing, and math skills
- Psychological development in minors
- The responsibilities of a teacher assistant
- Effective collaboration with an education team
- Providing effective instruction
In addition, students receive preparatory instruction in taking and passing the New York State Teacher Certification Assessment of Teaching Assistant Skills Exam.
New York Teacher Assistant License
New York does not require licensing, but it does have a teaching assistant certification requirement. Certification includes four levels:
- Level I: entry-level certification that allows the TA to provide instruction under the supervision of a licensed, certified teacher. It is valid for three years and renewable for three years, until the TA meets Level II requirements.
- Level II: second-level certification, allows the TA to provide instruction under the supervision of a licensed, certified teacher. It is valid for three years, but not renewable, and leads to Level III certification.
- Level III: third-level certification, allows the TA to provide instruction under the supervision of a licensed, certified teacher. It is valid for five years continuously, if professional development requirements are met.
- Pre-Professional: advanced-level certification that allows the TA to provide instruction under the supervision of a licensed, certified teacher. It is valid for five years and is renewable with continuing education requirements.
Teaching assistants must also complete the following:
Resources for Teacher Assistants in New York
Teacher assistants in New York have online resources available for information and up-to-date news in their career.
Selected Teaching Assistant Training Schools in New York
Click the Request Info buttons to request more information from a representative at the school.