First Step to BSN
The First Step to BSN Program helps adult students who have little or no prior college credits to progress toward earning their degrees. First Step features an 18-month rotation of online and accelerated core courses created specifically for adult students. After completing the First Step to BSN Program, students are prepared to apply to Union University’s Accelerated BSN Program, where they can earn their Bachelors of Science in Nursing degree in 15 months or the Traditional BSN Program.
Are You Eligible?
A First Step student must be a graduate of an accredited high school or have a state high school equivalency diploma and be at least 24 years of age. The following items must be submitted to be considered for admissions: application for admission, $50 application fee, official transcripts from all accredited institutions attended, high school transcript/GED if less than 24 college credit hours achieved, a personal statement describing why they desire to attend Union University, their personal career goals and reflect their interest in the field of nursing. Two letters of recommendation on provided forms are also required.
General Education Requirements for the Accelerated BSN Program
Please note: these courses are required for ALL applicants in order to be eligible for the Accelerated BSN Program.
- General Education requirements must be completed
- Age 24 or older
- ACT Score of 20 or higher
Christian Studies (Old Testament Survey New Testament Survey)
2017-2018 Tuition Rates
Program Offerings and Deadlines
The First Step to BSN Program is available on the Jackson, Germantown and Hendersonville campuses. While the application process is rolling admissions. the deadline for the fall semester is July 1st. The deadline for the spring semester is November 1st. If you are applying after these deadlines, your application may still be considered for the upcoming semester. Orientation for the First Step to BSN Program is provided prior to beginning the semester.
- Application: Fill out and submit the First Step to BSN Program Application (.pdf) (make sure to complete the Application, Reference Forms, Transcript Requests, Personal Statement, Standards of Admission and Community Values Statement)
- Read and sign the Community Values Statement and Standards of Admissions. Both signed pages must be received by the School of Nursing Admissions. (part of First Step to BSN Program Application Packet)
- Application Fee: The Union University application fee is $50 and is non-refundable. You have the option to pay online by credit card . You may also pay by check or money order with your supplemental application.
- Transcripts: Official transcripts from all accredited institutions attended, *high school transcript/GED (*if less than 24 college credit hours achieved). Please do not send transcripts for non-traditional nursing programs to Undergraduate Admissions.
- Reference Forms: Two reference forms are required from individuals who can attest to your academic ability and/or self-discipline to excel in the First Step to BSN program. Reference forms are a part of the First Step to BSN application.
- Personal Statement: Complete the personal statement found in the First Step to BSN Application. Your personal statement should be a brief description of why you desire to attend Union University, your personal career goals and reflect your interest in the field of nursing.
- If you are not a U.S. citizen, an international application must be completed and submitted with the BSN application. All international transcripts must be evaluated by an accredited evaluating agency found at the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services’ website: www.naces.org
- Applications which are incomplete by the application deadlines will be considered ineligible for admission and will not be processed.
*Please allow 2-4 weeks after application packet has been submitted to be received in the Office of Admissions and up to 2 weeks to process application. Applicant will be notified by email when application has been processed.
*Please note: If you are applying to the Traditional 4-year BSN program. please contact Undergraduate Admissions at 731-661-5100.
*Upon acceptance into the program, the following items must be completed:
- Physical exam form & immunization record