#Medical #billing #coding #schools
Top-Rated Medical Coding Schools: List of Schools
Read on to learn about the top-rated medical coding schools in the United States. Get info on school rankings, degree possibilities and school locations, and compare similarities and differences between programs to find the right fit for you.
Medical coding programs are most commonly offered at the certificate and associate’s degree levels, but more advanced bachelor’s and master’s degree programs are offered in the related field of health administration. Top programs show you how to assign codes to diagnoses and procedures in order for healthcare providers to obtain reimbursement from insurance or Medicare.
Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Health Care Administration
- Health Information and Records Admin
- Health Information Technology
- Health Management and Clinical Administration
- Health Unit Coordinator
- Health Ward Supervisor
- Medical Administrative Assistant or Secretary
- Medical Claims Examiner
- Medical Facilities Management
- Medical Insurance Billing and Coding
- Medical Insurance Services
- Medical Office Computer Technologies
- Medical Office Management
- Medical Office Specialist
- Medical Receptionist
- Medical Staff Services
- Medical Transcriptionist
Below, you’ll find information on three top schools that provide medical coding training. Two provide focused certificates in the field, while the other allows students to explore other subjects in healthcare administration while gaining core skills in medical coding.
Top schools are included based on breadth of coursework, format flexibility, certification preparation, and internship opportunities.
Drexel University in Philadelphia, PA
The College of Nursing and Health Professions offers a post-bachelor’s certificate program in medical billing and coding. The 6-course, 18-credit curriculum is offered online, and the program can typically be completed in one year. Graduates of the program are eligible to sit for the American Medical Billing Association’s certification exam. All of the credits earned in the certificate program may be counted toward the school’s bachelor’s degree program in health services administration.
Davenport University in Grand Rapids, MI
Davenport offers several programs for those interested in becoming health administrative professionals. The programs leading to a Bachelor of Science in Health Information Management and an Associate of Business Administration in Health Insurance Claims Management include medical coding and billing coursework. Students take courses in reimbursement systems, health care delivery systems and organizational behavior. Davenport also offers an Associate of Health Information Technology.
Madison Area Technical College in Madison, WI
The Medical Coding Specialist Technical Diploma at Madison College trains students to translate medical information into numerical formats. Students can complete the program entirely online or attend evening classes at the Madison-Truax campus. Students must also complete an 18-hour, unpaid clinical experience before they are awarded the diploma.
Top Schools with Programs in Medical Coding and Health Administration
Here are some more schools with strong offerings in medical coding:
- Ferris State University’s AAS in Health Information Technology program includes coursework in medical coding; the school is located in Big Rapids, MI.
- The overall pass rate for students from Midland College in Midland, TX, on the Registered Health Information Technologist exam was 91% from 2011 to 2016.
- At Pennsylvania College of Technology in Williamsport, PA, the Health Information Association (HIA) student group conducts seminars, discussions and community service events to help prepare club members for careers.
- At South Texas College in McAllen, TX, day, night, traditional, distance or hybrid classes possible for health records specialist certificate program.
- Weber State University in Ogden, Utah, offers certificate, associate and bachelor’s degree and post-bachelor’s certificates in health information and coding.
- At Youngstown State University in Youngstown, OH, the medical coding certificate includes an administrative practicum and an unpaid externship experience.
Whether you want to enter a program focused specifically on medical coding or prefer to study the subject within a wider degree program, there are schools that offer strong educational options.